Madrona (all about knitting)
My friend Nancy and I went to Madrona Fiber Arts Winter Retreat February 15 and 16. It was a great two days of classes, shopping and friends.
I learned a ton!
I took "Phoenix from the Ashes" from Lucy Neatby " Where I learned about grafting and mattress stitch and how to insert or fix a cable. She advises making a swatch as accurate to actual knitting conditions and then to use the begining of your knitting as sort of a second swatch and start all over again. She sells a series of DVD's that look fantastic but at $30 each I don't know which ones I would want. The library has 2 of her DVD's on socks so I'm on the waiting list for those.
I took "The Basics of Short Row Shaping" from Pat Bruner. This class I learned when you would want to use short rows and we went over 3 different kinds of short rows. I didn't really know about Japaneese Short Rows before and they really look nice. I'll definitely use this method when next I need to use them.
I also took a "Kaunit Hat" class from Ruth Sorenson. Kauni yarn has quite the buzz because of its colored to make stripes but it has really long runs of color in it. This yarn is produced in Estonia. In class she gave us 2 50g balls and a bunch of patterns and told us to start knitting. I am having a lot of trouble with my tension on 2 color knitting. Its frustrating and I set it aside for today at least.
I also met the famous "Yarn Harlot" Stephanie Pearl-McPhee and she gave me some tips on finishing my Central Park Hoodie. Its finished now. I'll take pictures and post them soon.
I bought Kauni to make the following sweater in EF and EG.
I don't know that lace around my stomach is the best idea but it is a beautiful sweater.
I got a door prize at Blackwater Abbey for $25 so off course I went and spent a bunch more money there. I bough this yarn for this sweater. Its kind of a boxy sweater but I was able to try on a size that fit me at the retreat so I have a good idea how it will fit. The designer is tall which was great! The yarn is a little bit scratchy but really beautiful.
I also bought some Blue Moon Fiber Arts sock yarn. (Silkie in color Corbie) I still haven't made any socks but I seem to be collecting plenty of yarn for it!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home